Three chain ferries carry road vehicles on the Tamar crossing between Devonport and Torpoint in Plymouth Harbour. Two of the double ended ro-ro vessels are over 40 years old and reaching the end of their useful life. The vessels are to be replaced with larger ferries and the shore ramps need to be reprofiled.
Beckett Rankine inspected the shore structures at each end and carried out an assessment of what would be needed and how to undertake the works without interrupting ferry services. This included repairs, reprofiling and refurbishment of the slipways.
A ferry has operated on this route since 1791, with the first chain ferries being introduced in 1832. Vessels have been replaced over the years, with a third ferry added in 1930. Demand for the service has recently increased with the development of more residential areas in Torpoint.